of Hebrew origin; the first letter of the alphabet; figuratively, only (from its use as a numeral) the first: --Alpha. Often used (usually an, before a vowel) also in composition (as a contraction from G427) in the sense of privation; so, in many words, beginning with this letter; occasionally in the sense of union (as a contraction of G260).
- first letter of Greek alphabet
- Christ is the Alpha to indicate that he is the beginning and the end
Strong's Number G1 Bible Verses
Proper Name Masculine
of Hebrew origin (H175); Aaron, the brother of Moses:--Aaron.
Aaron = "light-bringer"
- the brother of Moses, the first high priest of Israel and head of the whole priestly order
Strong's Number G2 Bible Verses
Proper Name Masculine
of Hebrew origin (H11); a destroying angel:--Abaddon.
Abaddon = "destruction"
- the place of destruction
- the name of the angel-prince of the infernal regions, the minister of death and the author of havoc on the earth
Strong's Number G3 Bible Verses
from G1 (as a negative particle) and G922; weightless, i.e. (figuratively) not burdensome:--from being burdensome.
- not burdensome
- not heavy
- light without weight
Strong's Number G4 Bible Verses
of Chaldee origin (H2); father as a vocative:--Abba.
Abba = "father"
- father, customary title used of God in prayer. Whenever it occurs in the New Testament it has the Greek interpretation joined to it, that is apparently to be explained by the fact that the Chaldee "ABBA" through frequent use in prayer, gradually acquired the nature of a most sacred proper name, to which the Greek speaking Jews added the name from their own tongue.
Strong's Number G5 Bible Verses
Proper Name Masculine
of Hebrew origin (H1893); Abel, the son of Adam:--Abel.
Abel = "vanity (that is: transitory)"
- the second son of Adam, murdered by his brother Cain
Strong's Number G6 Bible Verses
Proper Name Masculine
of Hebrew origin (H29); Abijah, the name of two Israelites:--Abia.
Abijah = "my father is Jah (Jehovah)"
- a priest, the head of a priestly family from whom when David divided the priests into 24 classes, Abia was the 8th order
- son and successor to Rehoboam on the throne of Judah
Strong's Number G7 Bible Verses
Proper Name Masculine
of Hebrew origin (H54); Abiathar, an Israelite:--Abiathar.
Abiathar = "father of abundance"
- the name of a high priest
Strong's Number G8 Bible Verses
Proper Name Location
of foreign origin (compare H58); Abilene, a region of Syria:--Abilene.
Abilene = "grassy meadow"
- a region of Syria between Lebanon and Hermon towards Phoenicia, 18 miles (29 km) from Damascus and 37 miles (60 km) from Heliopolis
Strong's Number G9 Bible Verses
a primitive word; father, in a literal and immediate, or figurative and remote application):--chief, (fore-)father(-less), × patrimony, principal. Compare names in "Abi-".
- father of an individual
- of God as father of his people
- head or founder of a household, group, family, or clan
- grandfather, forefathers -- of person
- of people
- originator or patron of a class, profession, or art
- of producer, generator (fig.)
- of benevolence and protection (fig.)
- term of respect and honour
- ruler or chief (spec.)
Strong's Number H1 Bible Verses
(Aramaic) corresponding to H1:--father.
Strong's Number H2 Bible Verses
from the same as H24; a green plant:--greenness, fruit.
- freshness, fresh green, green shoots, or greenery
Strong's Number H3 Bible Verses
(Aramaic) corresponding to H3:--fruit.
- fruit, fresh, young, greening
Strong's Number H4 Bible Verses
Proper Name Masculine
of foreign origin; Abagtha, a eunuch of Xerxes:--Abagtha.
Abagtha = "God-given"
- one of the seven eunuchs in the Persian court of Ahasuerus
Strong's Number H5 Bible Verses
a primitive root; properly, to wander away, i.e. lose oneself; by implication to perish (causative, destroy):--break, destroy(- uction), + not escape, fail, lose, (cause to, make) perish, spend, × and surely, take, be undone, × utterly, be void of, have no way to flee.
- perish, vanish, go astray, be destroyed
- perish, die, be exterminated
- perish, vanish (fig.)
- be lost, strayed
- to destroy, kill, cause to perish, to give up (as lost), exterminate
- to blot out, do away with, cause to vanish, (fig.)
- cause to stray, lose
- to destroy, put to death 1c
- of divine judgment
- object name of kings (fig.)
Strong's Number H6 Bible Verses
(Aramaic) corresponding to H6:--destroy, perish.
- to perish, vanish
- (P'al) shall perish
- (Aphel) destroy
- (Hophal) be destroyed
Strong's Number H7 Bible Verses
active of participle of H6; (concrete) wretched or (abstract) destructin:--perish.
Strong's Number H8 Bible Verses
- a lost thing, something lost
Strong's Number H9 Bible Verses
Proper Name Location
of Hebrew origin (H31); Abihud, an Israelite:--Abiud.
Abiud = "my father is majesty"
- the son of Bela and grandson of Benjamin (1 Ch. 8:3)
Strong's Number G10 Bible Verses
Proper Name Masculine
of Hebrew origin (H85); Abraham, the Hebrew patriarch:--Abraham. (In Acts 7:16 the text should probably read Jacob.)
Abraham = "father of a multitude"
- the son of Terah and the founder of the Jewish nation
Strong's Number G11 Bible Verses
from G1 (as a negative particle) and a variation of G1037; depthless, i.e. (specially) (infernal) "abyss":--deep, (bottomless) pit.
- the abyss
- the pit
- the immeasurable depth
- of Orcus, a very deep gulf or chasm in the lowest parts of the earth used as the common receptacle of the dead and especially as the abode of demons
Strong's Number G12 Bible Verses
Proper Name Masculine
of Hebrew origin (compare H2285); Agabus, an Israelite:--Agabus.
Agabus = "locust"
- a Christian prophet
Strong's Number G13 Bible Verses
- to work good, to do good, to do well, act rightly
Strong's Number G14 Bible Verses
from G17; to be a well-doer (as a favor or a duty):--(when) do good (well).
- to do good, do something which profits others
- to be a good help to someone
- to do someone a favour
- to benefit
- to do well, do right
Strong's Number G15 Bible Verses
from G17; well-doing, i.e. virtue:--well-doing.
- a course of right action, well doing, virtue
Strong's Number G16 Bible Verses
- acting rightly, doing well, virtuous
Strong's Number G17 Bible Verses
a primary word; "good" (in any sense, often as noun):--benefit, good(-s, things), well. Compare G2570.
- of good constitution or nature
- useful, salutary
- good, pleasant, agreeable, joyful, happy
- excellent, distinguished
- upright, honourable
Strong's Number G18 Bible Verses
from G18; goodness, i.e. virtue or beneficence:--goodness.
- uprightness of heart and life, goodness, kindness
Strong's Number G19 Bible Verses
from G21; exultation; specially, welcome:--gladness, (exceeding) joy.
- exultation, extreme joy, gladness
Strong's Number G20 Bible Verses
from agan (much) and G242; properly, to jump for joy, i.e. exult:--be (exceeding) glad, with exceeding joy, rejoice (greatly).
- to exult, rejoice exceedingly, be exceeding glad
Strong's Number G21 Bible Verses
- unmarried, unwedded, single
Strong's Number G22 Bible Verses
from agan (much) and achthos (grief; akin to the base of G43); to be greatly afflicted, i.e. (figuratively) indignant:--be much (sore) displeased, have (be moved with, with) indignation.
- to be indignant, moved with indignation, be very displeased
Strong's Number G23 Bible Verses
from G23; indignation:--indignation.
- indignation, irritation, vexation
Strong's Number G24 Bible Verses
perhaps from agan (much) (or compare G5689); to love (in a social or moral sense):--(be-)love(-ed). Compare G5368.
- of persons
- to welcome, to entertain, to be fond of, to love dearly
- of things
- to be well pleased, to be contented at or with a thing
Strong's Number G25 Bible Verses
from G25; love, i.e. affection or benevolence; specially (plural) a love-feast:--(feast of) charity(-ably), dear, love.
- brotherly love, affection, good will, love, benevolence
- love feasts
Strong's Number G26 Bible Verses
from G25; beloved:--(dearly, well) beloved, dear.
- beloved, esteemed, dear, favourite, worthy of love
Strong's Number G27 Bible Verses
Proper Name Feminine
of Hebrew origin (H1904); Hagar, the concubine of Abraham:--Hagar.
Hagar = "flight"
- Abraham's concubine and mother to Ishmael
Strong's Number G28 Bible Verses
of foreign origin (compare H104); properly, to be a courier, i.e. (by implication) to press into public service:--compel (to go).
- to employ a courier, dispatch a mounted messenger, press into public service, compel to go
Strong's Number G29 Bible Verses
from aggos (a pail, perhaps as bent; compare the base of G43); a receptacle:--vessel.
- a vessel, receptacle, a pail, a reservoir
Strong's Number G30 Bible Verses
from G32; an announcement, i.e. (by implication) precept:--message.
- message, announcement, news
- a proclamation, command, order
Strong's Number G31 Bible Verses
from aggello (probably derived from G71; compare G34) (to bring tidings); a messenger; especially an "angel"; by implication, a pastor:--angel, messenger.
- a messenger, envoy, one who is sent, an angel, a messenger from God
Strong's Number G32 Bible Verses
imperative of G71; properly, lead, i.e. come on:--go to.
- go to, come!, come now!
Strong's Number G33 Bible Verses
- herd or oxen or cattle, a herd or company
Strong's Number G34 Bible Verses
- one whose descent there is no record of, without genealogy
Strong's Number G35 Bible Verses
from G1 (as negative particle) and G1085; properly, without kin, i.e. (of unknown descent, and by implication) ignoble:--base things.
- ignoble, coward, mean, base, of no family, that is: low born
Strong's Number G36 Bible Verses
from G40; to make holy, i.e. (ceremonially) purify or consecrate; (mentally) to venerate:--hallow, be holy, sanctify.
- to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow
- to separate from profane things and dedicate to God
- consecrate things to God
- dedicate people to God
- to purify
- to cleanse externally
- to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin
- to purify internally by renewing of the soul
Strong's Number G37 Bible Verses
from G37; properly, purification, i.e. (the state) purity; concretely (by Hebraism) a purifier:--holiness, sanctification.
- consecration, purification
- the effect of consecration
- sanctification of heart and life
Strong's Number G38 Bible Verses
neuter of G40; a sacred thing (i.e. spot):--holiest (of all), holy place, sanctuary.
- reverend, worthy of veneration
- of things which on account of some connection with God possess a certain distinction and claim to reverence, as places sacred to God which are not to be profaned
- of persons whose services God employs, for example, apostles
- set apart for God, to be as it were, exclusively his
- services and offerings
- prepared for God with solemn rite, pure, clean
- in a moral sense, pure sinless upright holy
Strong's Number G39 Bible Verses
from hagos (an awful thing) (compare G53, G2282); sacred (physically, pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially, consecrated):--(most) holy (one, thing), saint.
- most holy thing, a saint
Strong's Number G40 Bible Verses
from G40; sanctity (i.e. properly, the state):--holiness.
- in a moral sense: holiness
Strong's Number G41 Bible Verses
from G40; sacredness (i.e. properly, the quality):--holiness.
- majesty, holiness
- moral purity
Strong's Number G42 Bible Verses
from agkos (a bend, "ache"); an arm (as curved):--arm.
- the curve or inner angle of the arm, the bent arm
- anything closely enfolding, as the arms of the sea, etc.
Strong's Number G43 Bible Verses
from the same as G43; a hook (as bent):--hook.
- a fishing hook, a small hook
Strong's Number G44 Bible Verses
from the same as G43; an "anchor" (as crooked):--anchor.
- an anchor
- metaph. any stay or safeguard
Strong's Number G45 Bible Verses
from G1 (as a negative particle) and the same as G1102; properly, unfulled, i.e. (by implication) new (cloth):--new.
- unmilled, unfulled, undressed, unprocessed, new
Strong's Number G46 Bible Verses
from G53; cleanliness (the quality), i.e. (specially) chastity:--purity.
- purity, sinlessness of life
Strong's Number G47 Bible Verses
from G53; to make clean, i.e. (figuratively) sanctify (ceremonially or morally):--purify (self).
- to make pure, purify, cleanse
Strong's Number G48 Bible Verses
from G48; a cleansing (the act), i.e. (ceremonially) lustration:--purification.
- purification, expiation
Strong's Number G49 Bible Verses
from G1 (as a negative particle) and G3539; not to know (through lack of information or intelligence); by implication, to ignore (through disinclination):--(be) ignorant(-ly), not know, not understand, unknown.
- to be ignorant, not to know
- not to understand, unknown
- to err or sin through mistake, to be wrong
Strong's Number G50 Bible Verses
from G50; a thing ignored, i.e. shortcoming:--error.
- a sin committed through ignorance or thoughtlessness
Strong's Number G51 Bible Verses
from G50; ignorance (properly, the quality):--ignorance.
- lack of knowledge, ignorance
- esp. of divine things
- of moral blindness
Strong's Number G52 Bible Verses
from the same as G40; properly, clean, i.e. (figuratively) innocent, modest, perfect:--chaste, clean, pure.
- exciting reverence, venerable, sacred
- pure from carnality, chaste, modest
- pure from every fault, immaculate
Strong's Number G53 Bible Verses
from G53; cleanness (the state), i.e. (figuratively) blamelessness:--pureness.
- purity, chastity, uprightness of life
Strong's Number G54 Bible Verses
adverb from G53; purely, i.e. honestly:--sincerely.
- chaste, clean, pure, with sincerity
Strong's Number G55 Bible Verses
from G1 (as negative particle) and G1108; ignorance (properly, the state):--ignorance, not the knowledge.
- not knowing, ignorance
Strong's Number G56 Bible Verses
- unknown, forgotten
Strong's Number G57 Bible Verses
from ageiro (to gather; probably akin to G1453); properly, the town-square (as a place of public resort); by implication, a market or thoroughfare:--market(-place), street.
- any assembly, especially of the people
- the place of assembly
- for public debating,
- for elections
- for trials
- for buying and selling
- for all kinds of business
- market place, street
Strong's Number G58 Bible Verses
from G58; properly, to go to market, i.e. (by implication) to purchase; specially, to redeem:--buy, redeem.
- to be in the market place, to attend it
- to do business there, buy or sell
- of idle people: to haunt the market place, lounge there
Strong's Number G59 Bible Verses
from G58; relating to the market-place, i.e. forensic (times); by implication, vulgar:--baser sort, low.
- in, of or belonging to the market place
- frequenting the market place
- hucksters, petty traffickers, retail dealers
- idlers, loungers, the common sort, low, mean vulgar
- generally, proper to the assembly, suited to forensic speaking, business-like transactions
Strong's Number G60 Bible Verses
from G71; (abstractly) a catching (of fish); also (concretely) a haul (of fish):--draught.
- a catching, hunting
- that which is taken in hunting, the booty, prey
- of birds or beasts, game
- of fish, a draught or haul
Strong's Number G61 Bible Verses
- illiterate, unlearned
Strong's Number G62 Bible Verses
- to live in the fields, be under the open sky, even at night
Strong's Number G63 Bible Verses
from G61; to hunt, i.e. (figuratively) to entrap:--catch.
- to hunt, to take by hunting, catch
- metaph. to hunt after, pursue eagerly
Strong's Number G64 Bible Verses
- of or belonging to the oleaster or wild olive
- the oleaster, wild olive tree
Strong's Number G65 Bible Verses
from G68; wild (as pertaining to the country), literally (natural) or figuratively (fierce):--wild, raging.
- living or growing in the fields or woods
- of animals, wild, savage
- of countries, wild, uncultivated, unreclaimed
- of men and animals in a moral sense, wild savage, fierce
- boorish, rude
- of any violent passion, vehement, furious
Strong's Number G66 Bible Verses
Agrippa = "Hero like"
- Name of a ruling family in Israel at the time of Christ
Strong's Number G67 Bible Verses
from G71; a field (as a drive for cattle); genitive case, the country; specially, a farm, i.e. hamlet:--country, farm, piece of ground, land.
- the field, the country
- a piece of land, bit of tillage
- the farms, country seats, neighbouring hamlets
Strong's Number G68 Bible Verses
- to be sleepless, keep awake, watch
- to be circumspect, attentive, ready
Strong's Number G69 Bible Verses
from G69; sleeplessness, i.e. a keeping awake:--watch.
- sleeplessness, watching
Strong's Number G70 Bible Verses
a primary verb; properly, to lead; by implication, to bring, drive, (reflexively) go, (specially) pass (time), or (figuratively) induce:--be, bring (forth), carry, (let) go, keep, lead away, be open.
- to lead, take with one
- to lead by laying hold of, and this way to bring to the point of destination: of an animal
- to lead by accompanying to (into) a place
- to lead with one's self, attach to one's self as an attendant
- to conduct, bring
- to lead away, to a court of justice, magistrate, etc.
- to lead,
- to lead, guide, direct
- to lead through, conduct to: to something
- to move, impel: of forces and influences on the mind
- to pass a day, keep or celebrate a feast, etc.
- to go, depart
Strong's Number G71 Bible Verses
reduplicated from G71; a bringing up, i.e. mode of living:--manner of life.
- a leading
- metaph.: conduct
- a conducting, training, education, discipline
- the life led, way or course of life
Strong's Number G72 Bible Verses
from G71; properly, a place of assembly (as if led), i.e. (by implication) a contest (held there); figuratively, an effort or anxiety:--conflict, contention, fight, race.
- an assembly,
- a place of assembly: especially an assembly met to see games
- the place of contest, the arena or stadium
- the assembly of the Greeks at their national games
- hence the contest for a prize at their games
- generally, any struggle or contest
- a battle
- an action at law, trial
Strong's Number G73 Bible Verses
from G73; a struggle (properly, the state), i.e. (figuratively) anguish:--agony.
- a struggle for victory
- gymnastic exercise, wrestling
- of severe mental struggles and emotions, agony, anguish
Strong's Number G74 Bible Verses
from G73; to struggle, literally (to compete for a prize), figuratively (to contend with an adversary), or genitive case (to endeavor to accomplish something):--fight, labor fervently, strive.
- to enter a contest: contend in the gymnastic games
- to contend with adversaries, fight
- metaph. to contend, struggle, with difficulties and dangers
- to endeavour with strenuous zeal, strive: to obtain something
Strong's Number G75 Bible Verses
of Hebrew origin (H121); Adam, the first man; typically (of Jesus) man (as his representative):--Adam.
Adam = "the red earth"
- Adam, the first man, the parent of the whole human family
Strong's Number G76 Bible Verses
- without expense, requiring no outlay, costing nothing
Strong's Number G77 Bible Verses
probably of Hebrew origin (compare H5716); Addi, an Israelite:--Addi.
Addi = "ornament"
- son of Cosam, and father of Melchi in our Lord's genealogy
Strong's Number G78 Bible Verses
fem of G80; a sister (naturally or ecclesiastically):--sister.
- a full, own sister
- one connected by the tie of the Christian religion
Strong's Number G79 Bible Verses
from G1 (as a connective particle) and delphus (the womb); a brother (literally or figuratively) near or remote (much like G1):--brother.
- a brother, whether born of the same two parents or only of the same father or mother
- having the same national ancestor, belonging to the same people, or countryman
- any fellow or man
- a fellow believer, united to another by the bond of affection
- an associate in employment or office
- brethren in Christ
- his brothers by blood
- all men
- Christians, as those who are exalted to the same heavenly place
Strong's Number G80 Bible Verses
from G80; brotherhood (properly, the feeling of brotherliness), i.e. the (Christian) fraternity:--brethren, brotherhood.
- brotherhood, brotherly kindness
- a family of brothers, the brotherhood
Strong's Number G81 Bible Verses
from G1 (as a negative particle) and G1212; hidden, figuratively, indistinct:--appear not, uncertain.
- not manifest, indistinct, uncertain, obscure
Strong's Number G82 Bible Verses
from G82; uncertainty:--X uncertain.
Strong's Number G83 Bible Verses
adverb from G82; uncertainly:--uncertainly.
Strong's Number G84 Bible Verses
from a derivative of adeo (to be sated to loathing); to be in distress (of mind):--be full of heaviness, be very heavy.
- to be troubled, great distress or anguish, depressed
Strong's Number G85 Bible Verses
from G1 (as negative particle) and G1492; properly, unseen, i.e. "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls:--grave, hell.
- name Hades or Pluto, the god of the lower regions
- Orcus, the nether world, the realm of the dead
- later use of this word: the grave, death, hell
Strong's Number G86 Bible Verses
from G1 (as a negative particle) and a derivative of G1252; properly, undistinguished, i.e. (actively) impartial:--without partiality.
- undistinguished, unintelligible
- without dubiousness, ambiguity or uncertainty
Strong's Number G87 Bible Verses
from G1 (as a negative particle) and a derivative of a compound of G1223 and G3007; unintermitted, i.e. permanent:--without ceasing, continual.
- unintermitted, unceasing, continual
Strong's Number G88 Bible Verses
adverb from G88; uninterruptedly, i.e. without omission (on an appropriate occasion):--without ceasing.
- without intermission, incessantly, without ceasing
Strong's Number G89 Bible Verses
from a derivative of a compound of G1 (as a negative particle) and a derivative of G1311; incorruptibleness, i.e. (figuratively) purity (of doctrine):--uncorruptness.
Strong's Number G90 Bible Verses
from G94; to be unjust, i.e. (actively) do wrong (morally, socially or physically):--hurt, injure, be an offender, be unjust, (do, suffer, take) wrong.
- to act unjustly or wickedly, to sin,
- to be a criminal, to have violated the laws in some way
- to do wrong
- to do hurt
- to do some wrong or sin in some respect
- to wrong some one, act wickedly towards him
- to hurt, damage, harm
Strong's Number G91 Bible Verses
noun (6117)strong's greek lexicon (5523)greek (5523)hebrew (5398)strong's hebrew lexicon (5394)masculine (4632)verb (3465)proper name (2686)feminine (2371)adjective (1307)location (812)aramaic (653)neuter (453)adverb (321)up (280)out (227)down (179)away (172)ye (133)things (130)more...
Find listings within