of Chaldee origin (H2); father as a vocative:--Abba.
Abba = "father"
- father, customary title used of God in prayer. Whenever it occurs in the New Testament it has the Greek interpretation joined to it, that is apparently to be explained by the fact that the Chaldee "ABBA" through frequent use in prayer, gradually acquired the nature of a most sacred proper name, to which the Greek speaking Jews added the name from their own tongue.
Strong's Number G5 Bible Verses
from G1 (as a negative particle) and a variation of G1037; depthless, i.e. (specially) (infernal) "abyss":--deep, (bottomless) pit.
- the abyss
- the pit
- the immeasurable depth
- of Orcus, a very deep gulf or chasm in the lowest parts of the earth used as the common receptacle of the dead and especially as the abode of demons
Strong's Number G12 Bible Verses
from agkos (a bend, "ache"); an arm (as curved):--arm.
- the curve or inner angle of the arm, the bent arm
- anything closely enfolding, as the arms of the sea, etc.
Strong's Number G43 Bible Verses
from ageiro (to gather; probably akin to G1453); properly, the town-square (as a place of public resort); by implication, a market or thoroughfare:--market(-place), street.
- any assembly, especially of the people
- the place of assembly
- for public debating,
- for elections
- for trials
- for buying and selling
- for all kinds of business
- market place, street
Strong's Number G58 Bible Verses
from G71; a field (as a drive for cattle); genitive case, the country; specially, a farm, i.e. hamlet:--country, farm, piece of ground, land.
- the field, the country
- a piece of land, bit of tillage
- the farms, country seats, neighbouring hamlets
Strong's Number G68 Bible Verses
from G71; properly, a place of assembly (as if led), i.e. (by implication) a contest (held there); figuratively, an effort or anxiety:--conflict, contention, fight, race.
- an assembly,
- a place of assembly: especially an assembly met to see games
- the place of contest, the arena or stadium
- the assembly of the Greeks at their national games
- hence the contest for a prize at their games
- generally, any struggle or contest
- a battle
- an action at law, trial
Strong's Number G73 Bible Verses
from G1 (as a connective particle) and delphus (the womb); a brother (literally or figuratively) near or remote (much like G1):--brother.
- a brother, whether born of the same two parents or only of the same father or mother
- having the same national ancestor, belonging to the same people, or countryman
- any fellow or man
- a fellow believer, united to another by the bond of affection
- an associate in employment or office
- brethren in Christ
- his brothers by blood
- all men
- Christians, as those who are exalted to the same heavenly place
Strong's Number G80 Bible Verses
from G1 (as negative particle) and G1492; properly, unseen, i.e. "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls:--grave, hell.
- name Hades or Pluto, the god of the lower regions
- Orcus, the nether world, the realm of the dead
- later use of this word: the grave, death, hell
Strong's Number G86 Bible Verses
from G94; (legal) injustice (properly, the quality, by implication, the act); morally, wrongfulness (of character, life or act):--iniquity, unjust, unrighteousness, wrong.
- injustice, of a judge
- unrighteousness of heart and life
- a deed violating law and justice, act of unrighteousness
Strong's Number G93 Bible Verses
from Adramutteion (a place in Asia Minor); Adramyttene or belonging to Adramyttium:--of Adramyttium.
Adramyttium = "I shall abide in death"
- Adramyttium, a seaport of Mysia
Strong's Number G98 Bible Verses
from Adria (a place near its shore); the Adriatic sea (including the Ionian):--Adria.
Adriatic = "without wood"
- Adriatic Sea, Adrias, the sea between Greece and Italy
Strong's Number G99 Bible Verses
from hadros (stout); plumpness, i.e. (figuratively) liberality:--abundance.
- bountiful collection, great abundance
- thickness, ripeness, fulness, esp. of the body
Strong's Number G100 Bible Verses
from aemi (to breathe unconsciously, i.e. respire; by analogy, to blow); "air" (as naturally circumambient):--air. Compare G5594.
- the air, particularly the lower and denser air as distinguished from the higher and rarer air
- the atmospheric region
Strong's Number G109 Bible Verses
plural of Athene (the goddess of wisdom, who was reputed to have founded the city); Athenoe, the capitol of Greece:-- Athens.
Athens = "uncertainty"
- A famous city in Greece, the capital of Attica, and the chief seat of learning and civilisation during the golden period of the history of Greece
Strong's Number G116 Bible Verses
of uncertain derivation:--Ægyptus, the land of the Nile:--Egypt.
Egypt = "double straits"
- a country occupying the northeast angle of Africa
- metaph. Jerusalem, for the Jews persecuting the Christ and his followers, and so to be likened to the Egyptians treating the Jews
Strong's Number G125 Bible Verses
perhaps from G1 (as a negative particle) and G1492 (through the idea of downcast eyes); bashfulness, i.e. (towards men), modesty or (towards God) awe:--reverence, shamefacedness.
- a sense of shame or honour, modesty, bashfulness, reverence, regard for others, respect
Strong's Number G127 Bible Verses
of uncertain derivation; Aeneas, an Israelite:--Aeneas.
Aeneas = "laudable"
- the name of a paralytic cured by Peter at Lydia
Strong's Number G132 Bible Verses
from G138; properly, a choice, i.e. (specially) a party or (abstractly) disunion:--heresy (which is the Greek word itself), sect.
- act of taking, capture: e.g. storming a city
- choosing, choice
- that which is chosen
- a body of men following their own tenets (sect or party)
- of the Sadducees
- of the Pharisees
- of the Christians
- dissensions arising from diversity of opinions and aims
Strong's Number G139 Bible Verses
from the same as G154; a cause (as if asked for), i.e. (logical) reason (motive, matter), (legal) crime (alleged or proved):--accusation, case, cause, crime, fault, (wh-)ere(-fore).
- cause, reason
- cause for which one is worthy of punishment, crime
- charge of crime, accusation
Strong's Number G156 Bible Verses
from the same as G104; properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity (also past); by implication, the world; specially (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future):--age, course, eternal, (for) ever(-more), (n-)ever, (beginning of the , while the) world (began, without end). Compare G5550.
- for ever, an unbroken age, perpetuity of time, eternity
- the worlds, universe
- period of time, age
Strong's Number G165 Bible Verses
from G191; hearing (the act, the sense or the thing heard):--audience, ear, fame, which ye heard, hearing, preached, report, rumor.
- the sense of hearing
- the organ of hearing, the ear
- the thing heard
- instruction, namely oral
- of preaching the gospel
- hearsay, report or rumour
- instruction, namely oral
Strong's Number G189 Bible Verses
apparently from the same as G206; a locust (as pointed, or as lighting on the top of vegetation):--locust.
- a locust, particularly that species which especially infests oriental countries, stripping fields and trees. Numberless swarms of them almost every spring are carried by the wind from Arabia into Palestine, and having devastated that country, migrate to regions farther north, until they perish by falling into the sea. The Orientals accustomed to feed upon locusts, either raw or roasted and seasoned with salt (or prepared in other ways), and the Israelites also were permitted to eat them.
Strong's Number G200 Bible Verses
from G206 and probably a modified form of posthe (the penis or male sexual organ); the prepuce; by implication, an uncircumcised (i.e. gentile, figuratively, unregenerate) state or person:--not circumcised, uncircumcised (with G2192), uncircumcision.
- having the foreskin, uncircumcised
- a Gentile
- a condition in which the corrupt desires rooted in the flesh were not yet extinct
Strong's Number G203 Bible Verses
from G206 and this (a heap); properly (in the plural) the top of the heap, i.e. (by implication) best of the booty:--spoils.
- top of the heap, the first fruits
- best of the spoils or crops
- the Greeks customarily selected from the topmost part of the heaps and offered this to the gods
Strong's Number G205 Bible Verses
probably for Latin aquila (an eagle); Akulas, an Israelite:--Aquila.
Aquila = "an eagle"
- a Jew of Pontus, a tent maker convert to Christ, companion and ally of Paul in propagating Christianity
Strong's Number G207 Bible Verses
neuter of alabastros (of uncertain derivation), the name of a stone; properly, an "alabaster" box, i.e. (by extension) a perfume vase (of any material):--(alabaster) box.
- a box made of alabaster in which unguents are preserved
Strong's Number G211 Bible Verses
from G213; braggadocio, i.e. (by implication) self-confidence:--boasting, pride.
- empty, braggart talk
- an insolent and empty assurance, which trusts in its own power and resources and shamefully despises and violates divine laws and human rights
- an impious and empty presumption which trusts in the stability of earthy things
Strong's Number G212 Bible Verses
from ale (vagrancy); braggart:--boaster.
- an empty pretender, a boaster
Strong's Number G213 Bible Verses
from G251; salt; figuratively, prudence:--salt.
- salt with which food is seasoned and sacrifices are sprinkled
- those kinds of saline matter used to fertilise arable land
- salt is a symbol of lasting concord, because it protects food from putrefaction and preserves it unchanged. Accordingly, in the solemn ratification of compacts, the orientals were, and are to this day, accustomed to partake of salt together
- wisdom and grace exhibited in speech
Strong's Number G217 Bible Verses
from aleko (to ward off); a cock or male fowl:--cock.
- a cock, or male of any bird, a rooster
Strong's Number G220 Bible Verses
from Alexandreia (the city so called); an Alexandreian or inhabitant of Alexandria:--of Alexandria, Alexandrian.
- a native or resident of Alexandria in Egypt
Strong's Number G221 Bible Verses
from the same as (the first part of) G220 and G435; man-defender; Alexander, the name of three Israelites and one other man:--Alexander.
Alexander = "man defender"
- son of Simon of Cyrene who carried Jesus's cross, Mk 15:
- a certain man of the kindred of the high priest, Acts 4:
- a certain Jew, Acts 19:
- a certain coppersmith who opposed the Apostle Paul, 1 Ti. 1:20
Strong's Number G223 Bible Verses
from aleo (to grind); flour:--meal.
- wheat flour, meal
Strong's Number G224 Bible Verses
from G227; truth:--true, × truly, truth, verity.
- what is true in any matter under consideration
- truly, in truth, according to truth
- of a truth, in reality, in fact, certainly
- what is true in things appertaining to God and the duties of man, moral and religious truth
- in the greatest latitude
- the true notions of God which are open to human reason without his supernatural intervention
- the truth as taught in the Christian religion, respecting God and the execution of his purposes through Christ, and respecting the duties of man, opposing alike to the superstitions of the Gentiles and the inventions of the Jews, and the corrupt opinions and precepts of false teachers even among Christians
- what is true in any matter under consideration
- truth as a personal excellence
- that candour of mind which is free from affection, pretence, simulation, falsehood, deceit
- truth as a personal excellence
Strong's Number G225 Bible Verses
from alisgeo (to soil); (ceremonially) defilement:--pollution.
- pollution, condemnation
Strong's Number G234 Bible Verses
feminine (899)neuter (431)location (152)of (43)things (35)men (34)thing (33)in (33)man (32)up (28)and (27)time (25)to (23)out (23)with (21)part (20)law (19)place (19)day (17)another (17)more...